Job title: Manager – Sustainable Landscape Restoration
Company: World Resources Institute
Job description: WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
WRI India’s Sustainable Landscapes and Restoration program aims to inform India’s transition towards sustainable food and land use systems. The focus of the work is to develop strategies around protecting, maintaining and restoring forest and agricultural landscapes to secure livelihoods of 700 million people directly dependent on forests and agriculture and strengthen India’s environmental well-being. The SLR program aims to catalyze a political and social movement to restore vitality to fragmented, un-productive, degraded landscapes in India. These lands can be restored into healthy mosaics of sustainable agriculture, agroforestry landscapes (or mixed-forest agriculture), and restored forest ecosystems generating economic, ecological, and social benefits to people and planet. While restoration involves improvements to physical landscapes, a diversity of people must be at the center of the solutions.
WRI India adapted the Restoration Opportunity Assessment Methodology (ROAM) developed by IUCN and WRI for the Indian context by applying it in Sidhi district in Madhya Pradesh which is now being implemented in partnership with the state government and local partners. This position supports the ongoing work for landscape restoration in Madhya Pradesh and Sidhi district as a critical Nature-based Solution (NbS). The primary focus of the position is to drive all policy related initiatives within an accelerator programme (an efficient approach to do capacity building with a diverse mix of peers, experts, mentors with engagement built-in). This position will support the design, development and launch of a policy accelerator with key experts, decision makers, mentors in the space. Much of the policy work will occur in the sector of forestry, agroforestry, food systems and land use. This position is most suited to an individual who has an interdisciplinary research background in forestry, policy studies, and/or development studies.
This position is remote due to Covid-19, but you will be at WRI India’s Delhi office once restrictions have been lifted. The position holder must be willing to travel within the country, including in remote areas with difficult terrain when it’s safe to do so.
The candidate will undertake series of activities listed below:
Research (40%): developing science-based solutions for planning, implementing and monitoring restoration
- Anchor the design and launch the policy accelerator program in India, esp. Madhya Pradesh. This will be the first such program in India focused on landscape restoration working with decision makers, experts and mentors to devise innovative solutions to reduce barriers to implementation of restoration.
- Organize policy accelerator activities in coordination with the implementation teams at state and district level team in Madhya Pradesh
- Desk based review of government data, published literature and grey literature on policy incentives for landscape restoration with focus on the socio-ecological and economic impact of these policies.
- Identify existing and new financing options to create awareness on policy incentives at both national and state level for accelerating landscape restoration.
- Support writing, analysis and production of high-quality knowledge products (reports, policy briefs, working papers) that encapsulate research findings.
Training and Capacity Building (40%)
- Develop modules and support training on the policy accelerator initiative and the training on restoration opportunity assessment methodology
- Capacity building support to programme partners in understanding frameworks and tools developed for landscape level interventions.
- Support different activities of the programme including organizing roundtables, workshops, seminars, meetings etc. related to policy accelerator
- Document best practices on success stories from the landscapes.
Programme development and strategy (10%)
- Identifying opportunities for fundraising and contributing to fund-raising efforts including pitching ideas and writing proposals and developing multi-year project proposal.
- Support in planning, monitoring and reporting of work related to the policy accelerator.
Partnership building and communications for scaling up restoration (10%)
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders including governments, research organizations and universities, civil society organizations, and corporate sector for implementing and scaling landscape restoration in India.
- Convening multi-stakeholder consultative groups with cohort of experts, mentors, part of the policy accelerator for extending the research and impact of WRI India’s analysis and solutions.
- Communicating research findings in diverse formats (blogs, policy briefs presentations) suitable for stakeholders in government, private and non-government sectors, with a focus on influencing policy and practice.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Master’s degree in development studies, environmental sciences, management or any related disciplines. PhD preferred.
- At least 8 years’ post-study research experience relating to forestry and natural resource management, policy analysis, etc.
- Excellent/ Strong research, interpersonal/ written/ communication skills
- Passion for social innovation and capacity building
- Understanding of landscape restoration approach and familiarity with restoration related policies, schemes and programmes in India, especially Madhya Pradesh
- The candidate is expected to bring research and communication skills and be comfortable with interdisciplinary, inter-programmatic, geographically dispersed teams.
- Participating in shaping of a collegial, quality driven and professional programme of work.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently as well as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Demonstrated skills of engaging in participatory approaches, and high levels of comfort in working with scientific data as well as local knowledge. Proficiency in quantitative and qualitative data analysis is a requirement.
- Ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner
- Demonstrated skills preparing programme documents, reports, policy briefs etc.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Hindi is essential.
Potential Salary: 15,00,000 to 18,00,000 INR CTC PA
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: Full-time regular
Location: Delhi/ Mumbai/ Bangalore, India
Start date: At the earliest
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at . All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose. Finalized candidate may be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.
Job date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 04:09:31 GMT
Apply for the job now!